Saturday, September 25, 2021

COVID Weaving

The one thing the COVID-19 pandemic has given me is time to weave. It’s amazing how much extra time one gets when all your meetings are just “down the hall” rather than a car ride away. We are all tired of the images of that virus appearing everywhere, but in 2020 it held a bit of fascination from a design perspective. 

 In the past several years, I have been studying how to use ProWeave software to create weaving designs. Last year, I also was interested to see if I could create a pictural representation of that COVID-19 graphic that had been holding our attention. Using ProWeave, I graphed a picture of the molecule. From that depiction, I was able to “superimpose” weave structures on the positive and negative faces. My “go-to” is a 1/3 and 3/1 straight twill.  These designs were created for 24 shafts.

COVID-19 Graphic


1/3 3/1 Straight Twill Draft














I also designed drafts for 1/3 3/1 broken twill.


1/3 3/1 Broken Twill Draft














The straight twill was too elongated but the broken twill was getting closer to what I had in mind.  



1/3 3/1 Broken Twill Sample


I then tried an 8-end satin structure.  ( Note:  The draft shows the underside as I wove the samples.)




Front and Back Sides of Satin Sample                          

8-End Satin COVID-19 Draft







 



_
*****************************************************************************
Although this structure worked to get the visual effect I was hoping for, there are 7 end floats.  But I wove samples for a sample exchange and one towel. I hadn't woven satin before and I realized that the sett wasn't quite right, but this towel, woven with 10/2 perle cotton is soft and a bit luxurious.

 
COVID Towel
 
I'm not sure if I will spend any more time with this design, but the technique is an interesting one to achieve images in my weaving.

No comments: