Monday, November 8, 2021

More Pandemic Scarves

I guess we all thought that we would be long finished with COVID by now, maybe soon. But I have continued to wade through my yarn stash and have been making scarves while mostly at home. I've just about used all of my available tencel yarn and need to make more inroads into the silk. 

I started off 2021 finishing off the last of my Just Our Yarn 10/2 tencel yarn.  For the first scarf, I need to use yarn from two different skeins fr the warp.  The blue with a little maroon went nicely with the basic blue yarn that I had picked for the warp.  This scarf was treaded to an extended point twill and woven with an advancing point.

JOY Blue Scarf




















The last JOY scarf I was able to weave used more blue-green colors.  For this scarf, I used a "M's" threading combined with the advancing point treadling.


JOY Blue-Green Scarf



















Having run out of JOY yarn, I looked around at what I did have.  I had been working to reduce my stash by either selling or giving away yarns that I didn't think I would use in the near future - or had that "What was I thinking" feeling.  I saw a couple of skeins of yarn - a Noro blend and somewhat heavy silk yarn.  They looked good sitting next to each other, so I decided to give them a try as a scarf.  The Noro was a rainbow of colors and the silk a bright pink.  I used the Noro for the warp and the silk for the weft.

The Noro was threaded to an extended point twill and woven with an advancing point treadling.


Pink Kudo Scarf

Pink Kudo Scarf Detail



















_______________________________________________________________________
Digging back into the stash, I found several skeins of 5/2 tencel I bought from Teresa Ruch in Oregon.  These were oranges and reds.  The first scarf I wove was mostly orange.  With this as warp, I used an 8/2 red tencel.  The structure is an extended point twill on 8 shafts, woven with an advancing point treadling.

Orange Ruch Scarf

Orange ruch Scarf - detail

_______________________________________________________________________

The next scarf using Teresa Ruch tencel used two different color ways - one more red and the other more orange.  The weft was the same 8/2 tencel as in the previous scarf.  The structure was a sort of fancy twill on 8 shafts and an advancing point for the treadling.  

Orange-Red Ruch Scarf




Orange-Red Ruch Scarf - detail



The last skein of Ruch tencel I had was very red.  

Red Ruch Scarf




Red Ruch Scarf - detail




















___________________________________________________

With no more tencel to play with, I started back to my stash.  The county fair was approaching.  The scarf categories in the Weaving Division had recently been split into three - protein fiber, plant fiber and man-made fiber groups.  I didn't have an entry for the plant fiber section, so I decided to find some cotton yarn. I had several skeins of Cascade Yarns Ultrapima fine cotton yarn in peach and light peach.  I haven't been a big fan of using cotton for scarves, but I thought I would give it a try.  

The structure was fancy on 8 shafts with a point treadling.  The hand is a bit heavier than the scarves I usually weave, but not overly so.  


Peach Cotton Scarf


This Fall, the opportunity came up to take a virtual class in Deflected Doubleweave with Natalie Drummond.  The students were from all over the East Coast of the US and Canada and I knew only one person, so it was fun to take a class at home and meet a great group of weavers.  The class was fun and much different from other types of weaving I've done.  After samples, I wove a scarf from the class warp.  The warp was 5/2 tencel in two different color ways - one solid and the other variegated from Teresa Ruch and 20/2 tussah silk from Jane Stafford.  The weft was an 8/2 cotton and 20/2 tussah silk.  

Deflected Doubleweave Scarf

It's fun to look back at different styles of scarves I've woven during the pandemic.  

JOY Green Scarf

Pink Silk Scarf








__________________________________________________________________

JOY Green Fuchsia Scarf
JOY Green Scarf





Coral Green Silk-Merino Scarf

I'm sure there will be much more scarf exploration in the future.




 

No comments: