Thursday, March 2, 2017

Scarves

I've been focusing more time on weaving things that aren't towels.  This gives me a chance to weave with some beautiful yarns typically used for knitting.  I've had this warp on my loom for several months - Malabrigo Arroyo in the Archangel color.  I had planned two scarves and wove the first one in October or November.  The warp languished a bit but the second scarf came off this week.

I decided to do an advancing twill with a 2-2-3-1 tie-up on 8 shafts.  The warp was sett at 8 epi.  I thought this would give the scarf texture but not too much since any other pattern would get lost in the variegation.



I decided to use Malabrigo Rios in the same color for the weft.  This is similar in size but not exactly the same as the Arroyo.  

Warp Yarn


The result had a nice hand and drape.  


Scarf 1 detail




Scarf 1


I wasn't totally happy with the way the floats fell, so I changed the tie-up for the second scarf.  The threading stayed the same.  The tie-up is a 2-1-1-1-2-1 twill.  This still had a 4 end weft float but otherwise seemed ok.  

Drawdown for Scarf 2

The weft for this scarf was Malabrigo Arroyo in the color Purpuras.  

Warp and Weft Yarns for Scarf 2

The scarf turned out nicely - different than the first scarf because of the tie-up and darker weft but pretty similar.  Both scarves have a twisted fringe.



Scarf 2 Detail






Scarf 2


Here are the two scarves together with the weft yarn used.

Malabrigo Scarves with weft yarns


1 comment:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Love them both. That's really gorgeous yarn you're using. As a (extremely) novice weaver, I try to understand the terms and techniques you use. Thank you for the clear and concise blog posts-they help a lot.