Monday, April 16, 2007

Previous Unplanned Result

Before starting on the striped towels, I finished a set of linen/cotton blended twill towels. The yarn, a 30% linen/70% cotton blend wove into cloth with a great hand. Everything seemed fine until I washed them. The blue yarn bled - not just bleeding around the intersection of the white and blue colors - but across the entire towel. It also looked purple rather than blue.

At right is a washed towel with an unwashed towel on top. I originally washed the towels with a dye magnet sheet. I washed them a second time with a couple of the dye magnet sheets. I simmered one of the towels on the stove with a little detergent. The blue is still discharging.

I still have a couple of things I can do - more washing with dye magnet sheets or using a color remover. In any case, these towels will be mine rather than the gift they were intended to be. I guess that is a good thing since they do have a great hand and they turned out very well otherwise.


I haven't washed this one towel was done with mostly blue weft yet.

No comments: