Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Weaving by the Sea


A couple of weeks ago, I attended the CNCH Retreat at Asilomar in Pacific Grove, CA. It was a lovely spot to be and an even better place to weave. This isn't quite the view from the classroom window, but we could see the ocean.




I took a Shadow Weave class during the long weekend. My sample was an illustration of a 4-shaft shadow weave with a border - threaded on shafts 5 & 6. I used 3/2 mercerized cotton in natural and brown. (I was glad to use it up since the brown is definitely not my color and I don't remember why I bought it.) There were 17 students and the instructor brought a 16-shaft compu-dobby loom for the 18th sample. Many people brought table looms, which turned out to be the challenge for me but helped me decide to not consider buying a table loom.

It took a lot of work to complete all of the samples, but I did, although some are very short. I still have a bit of warp to weave off. I should use it to experiment, but I will probably weave it off as a runner.






No comments: